1. Who was Adam’s wife?
– Eve (Genesis 3:20)
2. Hadassah changed her name when she became Queen of Persia. What was her new name?
– Esther (Esther 2:7)
3. Abraham married again after Sarah died. What was the name of his second wife?
– Keturah (Genesis 25:1)
4. There are three women mentioned in the Bible who had roles usually held by men.
A) A woman named as a judge in the book of Judges.
-Deborah (Judges chapters 4 & 5)
B) A woman who was a prophetess in the time of King Josiah.
– Huldah (2 Kings 22:14 & 2 Chronicles 34:22)
C) A woman named as a deaconess [diakonos] in the book of Romans.
– Phebe (Romans 16:1-2 – I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea: that ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a succourer of many, and of myself also.)
5. What tribe did the prophetess Anna belong to?
– Asher (Luke 2:36)
6. Name the women who accompanied Jesus.
– Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Susanna, Salome, Mary the mother of James the less and others.
(Luke 8:1-3: And it came to pass afterward, that he went throughout every city and village, preaching and shewing the glad tidings of the kingdom of God: and the twelve were with him, and certain women, which had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary called Magdalene, out of whom went seven devils, and Joanna the wife of Chuza Herod’s steward, and Susanna, and many others, which ministered unto him of their substance.)
(Mark 15:40-41: There were also women looking on afar off: among whom was Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James the less and of Joses, and Salome; (who also, when he was in Galilee, followed him, and ministered unto him;) and many other women which came up with him unto Jerusalem.)
(Mark 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.)
7. Which women are named in the genealogy of Jesus?
-Thamar, Rahab and Ruth. Bathsheba is mentioned as the wife of Uriah, but not named.
8. Which two sons of David and Bathsheba are named in the genealogies of Jesus?
– Solomon in Matthew 1:7.
– Nathan in Luke 3:31.
9. Who was the mother of Mary?
– “I don’t know” is the correct answer.
(Some churches venerate Saint Anne, who they say was the mother of Mary. But there is no mention of the mother of Mary in the Bible nor in any other historical record of the time.)
2 thoughts on “Women of the Bible – answers”
The last one was a trick question! Lol
When I asked that question in the service nobody ventured an answer, which I had anticipated. So I addressed a brother by name and asked him what he thought. He was just blank. Finally I said “I was hoping you would at least say ‘I don’t know’ because that is the correct answer.”