November 17, 2017
Posted by on
- A wide-brimmed hat, one pair of blue jeans and $20 boots from the discount store.
- At least two head of livestock, preferably cattle, one male and one female.
- A new air-conditioned pickup with automatic transmission, power steering and a trailer hitch.
- A dog to ride in the bed of the pickup.
- A gooseneck trailer small enough to park in front of a cafe.
- A little place to keep the cows on land too poor to grow crops on.
- A spool of barbed wire, three cedar fence posts and a bale of hay to haul around in the truck.
- Credit at the credit union.
- Credit at the bank.
- Credit from your father-in-law.
- A good pocket knife, suitable for whittling to pass away time.
- A good wife who won’t get upset when you walk across the living room floor with manure on your boots.
- A good wife with a full time job.
[Author unknown, published 1985 in the Craik history book (my home town)]